|Venue:||FIU Modesto A. Maidique Campus, SIPA 125|
WHAT: The November 2014 cyberattack on Sony Pictures was unprecedented in scale and scope, raising significant questions about cyberthreats from abroad, as well as intrusive governmental policies. A conference organized by FIU’s School of International and Public Affairs, in collaboration with FIU’s Division of Information Technology, brings thought leaders from the public and private sectors and academia to review and discuss the Sony case. The one-day conference will examine what recent attacks mean for securing the U.S. homeland, defending economic interests and safeguarding civil liberties.
The event is free and open to the public. To RSVP, please click here
WHO: Welcome Remarks from 8:30 a.m. – 9 a.m.
Title: Cybersecurity’s “Brave New World”
- Mark B. Rosenberg, President, FIU
- Juan J. Martinez, Vice President/Chief Financial Officer and Treasurer, Knight Foundation
Morning Keynote Speaker from 9 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
Speaker: Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, Florida, 27th District; member of the NSA and Cybersecurity Subcommittee, House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence
Panel 1 from 9:30 a.m. – 11 a.m.
Title: National Security: The Delicate Balance
Moderator: Frank Mora, Director, Latin American and Caribbean Center; professor, Department of Politics and International Relations, FIU
- Adam Blackwell, Secretary of Multidimensional Security at the Organization of American States
- Laura Odell, Institute for Defense Analyses, Information Technology and Systems Division
- Paul Stockton, Managing Director for Sonecon LLC and former assistant secretary of defense for Homeland Defense and Americas’ Security Affairs
Panel 2 from 11:15 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.
Title: Cybersecurity and Business Panel
Moderator: David Wernick, Senior Lecturer and R. Kirk Landon Teaching and Student Engagement Fellow, Department of Management & International Business, College of Business, FI
- Guillermo Almada, Public Sector Director, Latin America New Markets, Microsoft Corp.
- Robert Grillo, Vice President and Chief Information Officer, FIU
- Brian Kenyon, Vice President & Chief Technical Strategist, Intel Security
- Monica Chiarini Tremblay, Chair, Department of Decision Sciences and Information Systems, College of Business, FIU
Afternoon Keynote Speaker from 1:30 p.m. – 2 p.m.
Title: How scared should you be? The dark side of the internet
Speaker: Manuel D. Medina, Founder and Managing Partner, Medina Capital
Panel 3 from 2 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Title: Cyber and Public Policy: The Future
Moderator: Shlomi Dinar, Associate Director, School of International and Public Affairs, FIU
- Jerry Bessette, Chief of Cyber Operations Section II, FBI Cyber Division
- Robert Knake, Former Director for Cybersecurity, National Security Council
- Pedro Pavón, Corporate Counsel, Oracle Corp.
- Hannibal Travis, Associate Professor, College of Law, FIU
Speaker: John F. Stack, Executive Director, School of International and Public Affairs, FIU
For a complete list of speaker biographies, please click here
WHEN: Saturday, Feb. 28, 2015 from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Broad Auditorium, School of International and Public Affairs (SIPA) 125
FIU Modesto A. Maidique Campus (MMC)
11200 S.W. 8th Street
Miami, FL 33199